Rights & Responsibilities
Section 504 of The 1973 Rehabilitation Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 continues
to provide direction and guidance to the University as it reaches new levels of access in all areas.
As such, both the University and student have rights and responsibilities.
Institutional Rights and Responsibilities
The University of Kansas (KU) through Disability Resources has the right and responsibility to:
- Maintain the University academic standards.
- Request qualifying disability documentation in order to verify eligibility for disability
accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids.
- Discuss students' eligibility with diagnosing professionals given signed consent.
- Select from among equally effective/appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary
aids in consultation with the student.
- Deny requests for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids when disability
documentation does not identify a specific disability, fails to verify the need for the requested services, or is
not provided in a timely manner.
- Deny requests for accommodations, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aids that are inappropriate or
unreasonable based on disability documentation including any that:
- Pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others;
- Constitute a substantial change or alteration of an essential course element/program standard, or
- Pose undue financial or administrative burden on the University.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Every qualified student with a disability has the right to:
- Equal access to educational and co-curricular programs, services, activities,
and facilities available through KU.
- Reasonable and effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary
aids as determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding disability information including the
right to choose to whom the disclosure of disability is made except as required
- Receive information in reasonably available in accessible formats. (i.e.,
meets request deadlines to ensure availability)
Every student with a disability has the responsibility to:
- Meet KUs qualifications including essential technical, academic, and
- Identify as an individual with a disability and request accommodations in
a timely manner.
- Provide documentation from an appropriate professional source verifying
the nature of the disability, functional limitations, and the rationale for
specific accommodations being recommended.
- Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations,
academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids as outlined.
Next Guidelines for